Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pedaling in Petra

Pedaling in Petra

As I indicated in my first blog post, when I am in between bike excursions, I would like to use this blog space to recommend some books related to bicycling that I have enjoyed. 

One of my latest acquisitions, is a large volume by Sophie Binder entitled - THE WORLD, TWO WHEELS & A SKETCHBOOK. This beautiful book is the product of her 14 month bicycle ride around the world during which she sketched the people, places and things she encountered. The book is beautifully done in full color and the text accompanying her art work tells the story of her journey. When I heard of her trip and her book, I purchased it immediately. 

This past July, Mindy and I had the privilege of meeting Sophie personally at the Deer Run Library in O'Fallon, Missouri. She was there for a presentation and book signing. We heard her tell of her bicycle journey around the world and the nearly ten year process of getting her wonderful book published. 

Bruce and Sophie Binder
Petra in Jordan
During her presentation, she told of her camping experience near Petra in Jordan. This would be a daunting experience for anyone, but especially for a woman traveling alone in a foreign country. Her artwork of Petra captures the beauty and the mystery of the place. 
From page 111 of Sophie's book
I doubt that I will ever ride my bike in Jordan and I certainly will not ride around the world, but I did have the opportunity to visit Petra in Jordan in 2009. 
Bruce in front of the Treasury in Petra 

View my video of my walk through the nearly one mile long gorge as I entered Petra for the first time.




Having purchased her book, having heard her tell of her journey, I would wholeheartedly recommend that you take a look at Sophie's book. The St. Charles County Library system does own a copy at the Deer Run location. You can find it here.

You can find Sophie and current information about her book and appearances on FaceBook - The World Two Wheels and a Sketch Book   Check it out! 




No comments:

Post a Comment