Friday, April 10, 2015

Pinellas County Rails to Trails Conversion

The Fred Marquis Pinellas Trail is a linear park and recreation trail used by thousands of people each month for walking, jogging, bicycling and skating. The trail was created along an abandoned railroad corridor and named in honor of Fred Marquis, who served as Pinellas County administrator during the trail's creation. The trail runs from St. Petersburg to Tarpon Springs. It connects several county parks, coastal areas and points of interest through multiple access points along the way. (Information from the Pinellas Trail map)

You can access the website for the trail HERE

Yesterday, I took off on the bike with no particular destination in mind. After cruising the neighborhood for a mile or two, I headed West on East Bay Drive and picked up the Pinellas Trail, heading South. The trail is a well-maintained black top and winds through a shaded corridor away from the noise and traffic of the major arteries. Since I had only been on the trail a few times before, I was not sure where I needed to get off to head toward Indian Rocks Beach. After asking directions a couple of times, I found my route and headed West again.

Two of the gentlemen that helped me were Auxiliary Rangers (Volunteers) that not only gave me directions, but they also supplied me with a map of the trail and adjoining bike routes. I expressed appreciation for their work on the this trail and asked if they had ever heard of the Katy Trail in Missouri. They had -- one of the gentleman said he was going to Missouri to ride the entire trail in a few weeks. Of course I recommend he stop at Kate's Coffee in Augusta and Picasso's Coffee in St. Charles.

After getting off the trail on Ulmerton Road, I caught Walsingham Blvd. and rode West to the Gulf. I crossed the drawbridge / causeway on Indian Rocks Beach. I had to swing by our favorite eating place in Florida --- Crabby Bill's Seafood. Did not stop for breakfast today, but we did have lunch here yesterday,


A quick stop on the beach for a picture and I headed back the same way I had come. On the way back, I rode through Walsingham Park. This is just across the boulevard from the Florida Botanical Gardens. Walsingham Park is situated on 354 acres, divided by 100-acre Walsingham Lake, one-quarter mile west of the Pinellas Trail. You can check out the website for this park HERE.


This beautiful park is worth spending at least part of a day exploring. I didn't have time this morning, so I got on the Pinellas Trail again and headed North to Rosary Ave., returning to Largo. I was back by 10:00 AM and had cycled 25 miles along paved trails, beautiful parks and Indian Rocks Beach. Not a bad way to start a day!!



Thanks for taking the time to view my blog. I enjoy sharing my travels with you. 

A man who has friends must himself be friendly,
But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Proverbs 18:24

Visit Hope Bible Church's Website HERE.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun. We'll have to check out the trails in Florida sometime.

    ReplyDelete